If you suffer injuries in a Texas accident or develop an illness or sickness as the result of medical malpractice, no amount of money you receive in your lawsuit settlement or jury award can fully compensate you for your pain and suffering. Nevertheless, such compensation can give you both a sense of closure and a sense of justice.

As FindLaw explains, Texas caps the amount of noneconomic damages you can receive for your pain and suffering. The cap amount depends on what type of lawsuit you file, such as the following:

  • $250,000 if you sue a private individual and/or entity for personal injury, medical malpractice or a defective product
  • $100,000 if you sue the State of Texas
  • $100,000 if your injury resulted from the negligence of someone rendering community service through a city or county program

Noneconomic damages

Understand that your physical pain and suffering is only one of your noneconomic damages, and the recovery caps apply to all your noneconomic damages as a whole. Other noneconomic damages you may suffer include the following:

  • Mental and/or emotional anguish
  • Disfigurement
  • Loss of consortium
  • Loss of the enjoyment of your life

Statutes of limitation

Texas allows you only a limited amount of time in which to file your lawsuit. For most types of injury claims you file with regard to your own injuries or wrongful death claims you file with regard to your loss of a loved one, you must file within two years from the date of the incident that resulted in your injuries or the death of your loved one.

While this information is not legal advice, it can help you understand pain and suffering damages and what to expect.