Defective toys are fairly common. If you followed the instructions for use and heeded the warnings on a toy, but your child was injured, you may have a claim against the manufacturer based on products liability law.
According to WATCH, every three minutes a child in the U.S. receives treatment in an emergency room for toy-related injuries.
LIST OF DEFECTIVE TOYS
In 2016 WATCH released a list of the 10 most hazardous toys. The list included:
- Peppa Pig’s Muddy Puddles Family. The packaging warns about choking hazards and that the toy is for children 3+, but other packages that appear to be the same toys don’t have the warnings and are sold to children at 2+.
- Kids Time Baby Elephant Pillow. The Federal Hazardous Substances act prohibits infant pillows and other similar articles for children under the age of one. The product is pictured with an infant snuggling with it alone. The danger is that a pillow can block a baby’s mouth and result in suffocation.
- Sliceable Slinger. The age warning for 6+ is never to shoot at a person or animal. However, the toy is like a slingshot and fires over 30 feet. The projectile has a lot of force and could cause serious eye injuries.
- Banzai Bump n’ Bounce Body Bumpers. The toy wants it could cause serious injury or death yet the age range is for children as young as four
- Nerf Rival Apollo XV-700 Blaster. For ages 14+ but warning is it can cause eye injuries and while a facemask is shown in the packaging, the toy doesn’t include a facemask.
- The Good Dinosaur Galloping Batch. No warning for the potential of puncture wounds from the pointed tail.
- Peppy Pups. No warning for risk of strangulation due to the long cord.
- Flying Heroes Superman Launcher. Sold with a launcher for children as young as 4 but poses risks for eyes and facial injuries.
- Baby Magic Feed and Play Baby. The spoon that comes with the toy could potential block a child’s airway.
- Warcraft Doomhammer. No warnings are included for potential impact injuries from using the heavy, plastic battle hammer.
ALWAYS SEEK LEGAL HELP IF YOU SUFFER SERIOUS INJURY FROM A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT
You can discus your injury in a free consultation at the Law Offices of Michael R. De La Paz. We can determine whether you have grounds to pursue compensation.